Monday, November 14, 2011

Story of a Birthday Gift!

Hey Everyone,
    
      Its less than a month for my birthday. Not sure, if to be excited or to feel sad over entering the last of the so called 'teen' years. With birthdays comes gifts(usually), which is what I am going to focus on. Yeah, I am going to ramble about gifts this time. Its about this one gift that makes me feel guilty, which makes me feel different, which makes me feel happy, which forced me to write this post!

How do you decide what to 'Gift' someone?
Very difficult question to answer.
I am trying to figure it out..I have started to look a little closely..and I think a pattern is emerging....but more on that later...

Lets talk about being at the receiver's end. We all have been there, during Diwali, New year's season, When you visit your aunties and uncles house(even though you dont know their name, they give you envelope full of crisp warm notes..ahh Gujratis..i love em') Your Birthday, Valentine's day(only if you are a girl....if you are a guy..you are on the other side my friend), When you become famous over some other guy's idea you read about on the internet, etc
Over the last 18 years of my life, I have been showered upon by a lot of gifts(not bragging), well I thank my parents and my relatives for all those pencils, eraser, colour pencils, compass boxes, train sets, basket ball, basket ball hoop(one year after gifting the basket ball), video games, watches, ipods(yeah, we're now entering the cool gadget stuff), digital cameras, laptop and many more they wrapped for me. But the most amazing gift I have received till now is not listed above.

Okay I would not drag like How I Met Your Mother(No offense..Its an Awesome Show!) and break the suspense..
I received this gift last year, I am not sure if that person wants her name to be disclosed here. The gift was *drum roll please*...
'A plain Note Book' !

It is an eco friendly 192 pages notebook wrapped in a thin transparent plastic and on plastic was written 'Explore 80 mins of your life :P'
I was awestruck by the simplicity and elegance of the thought. So sober yet awesome, not expensive but priceless, quite but inspirational !

One year have gone by and I still have that book. It is still blank and plain, fresh as it was a year back, untouched. I am not proud about it. Sometimes I flip through those empty pages and feel guilty for not inking it yet, sometimes it reminds me I can always have a fresh start and...
sometimes it makes me write a blog! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment